1. Set your alarm and watch the sunrise. Don’t let the day fade without witnessing the first moment of wonder we get in this place.
2. Don’t downgrade your knowledge. If you know something, speak. If you understand something let people know. There is nothing humble about limiting others perceptions of you. Don’t be afraid to burn bright.
3. Tell the boy you love him. Tell the girl you love her. Kiss them passionately and without love, kiss them with love. Just kiss them.
4. Always choose to dance no matter who is offering. Always dance.
5. Listen to the music you love and turn it up when people tell you it’s rubbish. Let yourself bleed the lyrics, your bones need the rhythm.
6. Get passionate about the things that make your toes curl. Don’t let passion dwindle, it is the essence of life.
7. Always help, whenever you can. You’re hand could be the only one the person is offered.
8. Don’t be afraid of happiness.
9. Never let the weather dictate your day. Keep your plans even if it starts to rain, go to the beach anyway. There’s something beautiful about the ocean when it’s wracked with the fury of thunder.
10. Feel what you feel and don’t give a damn about how it affects others. Your emotions are valid, and they should be loud. If you want to scream, scream good. If you’re happy then have another scoop of ice cream.
11. Don’t mirror the negativity of others. No matter how easy it would be.
12. Don’t keep silent about the things that matter.
13. Love them anyway.
14. When a boy breaks your heart, light a cigarette and burn his photo. Cleanse your soul of him, don’t let him infect your purpose.
15. Keep your strength even if you’re crumbling. It’s ok to cry, but it’s not ok to fall without getting back up.
16. If you break a boys heart, try and tread carefully over the shards of glass you left. Remember he is probably hurting but remember that what you did was right.
17. Go out with your mum. Have a coffee and talk to her. You love her, even if you don’t always believe it. You need to stay close to her.
18. It’s ok to be the listener sometimes. Your friends may need a shoulder, and it might do you good to hear from them. It will bring you closer.
19. Sometimes you will be the one who needs a shoulder. That does not make you weak, it makes you human.
20. Don’t follow the rules. Be good. Eat some ice cream and work out. Love everyone but no one. It’s always a good time to sing the wrong lyrics to that song on the radio. Catch a shooting star and feel raindrops on your skin. Read a book in a day, just go and live. Do whatever damn thing brings light into your eyes and fire in your veins.
Dear Future Daughter:
1) When you’re at some party, chain smoking on the roof with some strange girl with blue hair and exorbitant large dark eyes, ask her about her day. I promise you, you won’t regret it. Often times you’ll find the strangest of people have the most captivating of stories to tell.
2) Please, never mistake desire for love. Love will engulf your soul, whilst desire will emerge as acid, slowly making it’s way through your veins, gradually burning you from the inside out.
3) No one is going to fucking save you, anything you’ve read or heard otherwise is bullshit.
4) One day a boy is going to come along who’s touch feels like fire and who’s words taste like vanilla, when he leaves you, you will want to die. If you know anything at all, know that it is only temporary.
5) Your mental health comes before school baby, always. If its midnight, and you have an exam the next day but your hands have been shaking for the past hour and a half and you’re not so sure you want to be alive anymore, pull out that carton of Ben and Jerry’s and afterwards, go the fuck to bed. So what if you get a 68% on the exam the next day? You took care of yourself and at the end of the day that will always come before a high test score. To hell with anyone who tells you differently.
- student: hey government can I have some money to go to university
- uk government: sure here you go. you'll have to pay it back but only when you're earning £21,000+ a year, and if you don't pay it off after 30 years we'll just write it off, don't worry about it man
- scottish government: nah man just go to uni we ain't gonna charge you
- us government: no. you gotta pay it yourself. upfront. your parents have to save up from the moment you're born. good luck, fucker.